5 p.m. Monday, December 3, 2018, 2 E Main Street, Madison, WI State Capitol
The voters of Wisconsin spoke in the November election, but Republicans in Madison have scheduled a lame duck session to try and invalidate those results.
We will bring an illuminated message to an already planned rally taking at the Capitol Monday night at 5:30pm. Join us in holding this message and registering our outrage over this lame duck session. We will meet at 5;00pm at the Lady Liberty statue.
Here is a summary of some of those proposed changes:
– limit early voting to suppress voter rights and move the 2020 presidential primary from April to March for the sole stated goal of rigging the chance of retaining conservative Supreme Court judge Daniel Kelly. (There’s actually also a good thing in this bill related to making it easier for overseas voters to vote. It’s the only good thing I saw in any of the hundreds of pages I read but maybe I missed something before I made coffee.)
– radically limit powers of the Attorney General, including by requiring approval of withdrawal from lawsuits, and by allowing the GOP-led legislature to determine who represents the state in court
– give GOP lawmakers more power over Gov. Scott Walker’s economic-development agency, Wisconsin Economic Development Corp., which Evers has sought to dissolve, and remove Evers’ ability to appoint WEDC CEO, and other rule making changes that would, for instance, require Evers to get permission from the legislature before he could ban guns in the Capitol
– prevent governor from seeking to withdraw from federal waiver for work requirements for state benefits
– a ton of changes to agency rule making and waivers [could use some help making sense of this massive section of major and minor changes from someone smarter than me]
– change funding and allow tax for roads