Student power was on full display today at Hamilton High School! Youth Empowered in the Struggle (YES) students engaged in a School Lunch Justice campaign in Milwaukee Public Schools hosted a meeting Tuesday, May 3, 2022 at the high school….
Here are the students’ demands:
1. Provide fresh school lunch that is cooked at the school by food service staff with locally sourced ingredients.
2. Provide more lunch options simultaneously.
3. Put a system in place that identifies and accommodates students’ personal, religious, and medical dietary needs.
4. Provide larger, more filling meals that leave students feeling ready to learn, instead of hungry.
5. Hire more lunch staff to cook the meals and increase their wages.
6. MPS Board of Directors establish regular meetings with YES members to ensure these demands are met and implemented with student voices at the table.
All photos: Joe Brusky / Milwaukee Teachers’ Education Association