Come out this coming Mon. Aug. 3 from 7:00-9:00pm for an organizing meeting in preparation for the upcoming Sat. Aug. 29 rally and speak out in downtown Detroit in Grand Circus Park. This meeting will be held at the Moratorium NOW! Coalition offices located at 5920 Second Avenue near Antoinette near the Wayne State University campus in Midtown Detroit.
We are inviting all progressive community organizations, labor unions, youth and professional groups to join us in planning for this event. The issues we are focusing on impact hundreds of thousands of people in the city and its environs.
What we need now are people to distribute some 5,000 flyers announcing the event. Also organizations and individuals are encouraged to endorse the event and provide speakers.
Please come out this coming Monday and bring your ideas and willingness to work in the burgeoning struggle in Detroit.
From Greece to Puerto Rico to Spain and Across the US workers are fighting back against the austerity being imposed the banks and financial institutions.
Thousands of households face foreclosure and eviction in neighborhoods already devastated by years of predatory mortgage lending by the banks. Some 25,000 families are facing water shutoffs while the banks got paid $537 million on interest rate swindles. Schools are shuttered while property taxes are diverted to pay off debt service to the banks. Youth face joblessness and the school to prison pipeline. If they have a job it does not pay enough to live on.
THE BANKS OWE US FOR DESTROYING OUR COMMUNITIES!
* Stop police killings and brutality – jail killer cops; Black, Brown, Native, LGBTQ lives matter!
* Stop the school to prison pipeline—no to the New Jim Crow
* $15 minimum wage
* Health care for all—single payer now
* Stop tax and mortgage foreclosures – Demand Hardest Hit Homeowners funds be released to keep people in their homes
* Stop mass water shutoffs and theft of Detroit’s water department
* Stop destruction of public schools and Emergency Manager dictatorship
* Protest pension cuts, wage/benefit cuts and union busting
* Protest lack of public lighting
* Demand world class public mass transportation and paratransit services, for people with disabilities!
* Shut down Enbridge’s oil Line 5 under the Great Lakes, no tar sands oil, ban fracking, stop Marathon’s environmental racism—System change not climate change!
* Protest jailing of Benton Harbor’s Rev. Edward Pinkney, victim of a racist frame-up!
* Full employment now. Make the banks pay for a $2 billion program to put our youth to work rebuilding the city!
Partial list of endorsers: Moratorium NOW Coalition (Moratorium-Mi.org); Detroit Active & Retired Employees Association-DAREA; Fight Imperialism, Stand Together-FIST; Michigan Emergency Committee Against War & Injustice (MECAWI.org); Wisconsin Bail Out The People Movement, Workers World Party (workers.org); Stand Up Now!.
Members of the National Nurses United march in Detroit July 18, 2014.